first of all, i’ve updated the original civic societies post — all the way from yesterday! — to include africa, latin america, and india, so you might want to check that out.
and now … drum roll, please! … the totals for all the countries in the survey (that’s the world values survey, 2005-08 wave) — including a GLOBAL TOTAL. (see the previous post for why anybody should care.) again, answering the question(s):
“Now I am going to read out a list of voluntary organizations; for each one, could you tell me whether you are a member, an active member, an inactive member or not a member of that type of organization?
- Church or religious organization
– Sport or recreation organization
– Art, music or educational organization
– Labour union
– Political party
– Environmental organization
– Professional association
– Charitable organization
– Any other voluntary organization”
and, again, these numbers represent people who responded ACTIVE MEMBER:
below are a whole bunch of charts illustrating these numbers. some interesting points:
- the middle east/maghreb and eastern europe are consistently at the bottom, swapping last place here and there — mostly the middle east/maghreb occupies the total losers position in the civic society rankings. arabs and eastern europeans seemingly just don’t give a f*ck.
- to my pleasant surprise, african nations always scored above the global total and very often near the top. whatever you wanna say about africans, they are civically engaged. good for them!
- western europeans (either anglos or french/germanics) occupy the top spot almost half the time (4 out of 9); indians three times; africans twice.
- except for church/religious organization and charity/humanitarian organziation (two pretty good categories) latin americans always score below the global total.
- east and southeast asians only scored above the global total on three questions: political party, environmental organization and professional organization.
- anglos are waaay ahead of all the other groups in being active members of a charity/humanitarian organization.
- africans are waaay ahead of everybody in being active members of a church or religious organization.
- western europeans (including americans, canadians, australians, kiwis) luuuuuuuv sports.
ok. hold on. here are all the charts. click on any of them for a LARGER version (should open in a new browser tab/window):
i think there’s some funny numbers in this “other” category (see previous post, esp. the africa numbers), so take this chart with a grain of salt:
(note: comments do not require an email. behind you!)