sorry for the slow posting lately. yes, i’m still slacking off. (~_^) regularly scheduled programming should resume this weekend. (^_^)
in the meantime, i thought i’d steal a blogging idea from peter frost, and give ya’ll an idea of what to expect from this blog during 2014. (tl;dr: more of the same, really. (~_^) )
– more on mating patterns: long-term inbreeding and outbreeding practices in human societies and why some peoples go for inbreeding and why others do not. also, the relationship(s) (if any) between mating patterns and family types (think emmanuel todd). also, more on the connections between mating patterns and clannishness (or not) and behavioral patterns like civicness, corruption, and nepotism.
– i hope to explore further how different long-term mating patterns and family types create/affect selection pressures for various innate social behaviors in populations.
– individualism/collectivisim vs. familism/non-collectivism
– democracy: including the contrasts between liberal vs. consensus democracy and the idea that there are democratic tendencies in a lot of societies — probably the majority of societies — but very few places where you’ll find liberal democracy and even fewer places where liberal democracy works.
– violence: mostly the differences (if any) between societies where feuding is common vs. those that engage in large-scale warfare (thanks, grey!).
– also, i’ll continue to ask (in a hopefully annoying, gadfly-like way): where does culture come from?
– i’ll also be asking: how does assimilation happen? and i’ll be asking/looking for evidence for if/how it does.
this past summer, i started posting about the history of mating patterns in europe, and i had a plan all worked out, but i got (seriously) side-tracked. typical! i’m going to pick up that posting plan!…right after i post about the history of mating patterns/family types/social structures in the nordic nations…right after i post about the mating patterns/family types/social structures of the franks.
got all that? good. (^_^)
p.s. – oh. i also take reader requests! (^_^)
previously: top ten list 2013
(note: comments do not require an email. keep calm and… (^_^) )