(no, still not a post about pr0n. sorry! (~_^) )
i dunno why i like these polls about what tv show republicans and democrats prefer, but i usually wind up reading them whenever i see them. here’s a new one:
– The Daily Show With Jon Stewart and The Colbert Report (Comedy Central): As you might expect.
– 30 Rock and Parks and Recreation (NBC): Literate media-savvy comedies score high among Dems in general, notes Experian-Simmons senior marketing manager John Fetto. “Sarcastic humor is always a hook for them,” he adds.
– The View (ABC): Shows that skew female tend to do better among Dems, while male-friendly shows tend to do perform higher among Republicans.
– Glee (Fox)
– Modern Family (ABC): Last year, the progressive Glee and Modern Family scored surprisingly strong among both political leanings. Among conservatives this year, the shows still do fairly well, but have dropped out of their top ranks.
– It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia (FX)
– Treme (HBO): GOP Kryptonite. Not only a Dem favorite, but so unpopular among Republicans that the report scores the show with a “*” because not enough conservatives in the study group had actually watched it.
– Cougar Town (ABC)
– The Late Show With David Letterman and The Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson (CBS): Dems favor late-night programming, with one big exception that we’ll see below.
Also in the mix: The Soup (E!), Aqua Teen Hunger Force (Adult Swim), Raising Hope (Fox), Saturday Night Live (NBC), The Office (NBC), Project Runway (Lifetime), Shameless (Showtime), Parenthood (NBC), Conan (TBS).
i’ve seen the daily show, of course. while i can appreciate that jon stewart leibowitz is funny, it’s obviously not my sort of politics. (i’m not even sure what IS my sort of politics!) i’ve also seen, down through the years, a segment or two from the view, but a bunch of liberal ladies (and i use the term loosely) sitting around b*tching and gossiping?! NOT my kind of show. have also seen david letterman and conan, too, of course. and snl back in the day. the rest of them i’ve never watched, and some of them i’ve never heard of: treme?
– Swamp Loggers (Discovery) and Top Shot (History): Gritty documentary-style work-related reality shows on cable index really strongly with conservative Republicans. Swamp Loggers is particularly polarizing.
– The Bachelor (ABC): They also tend to gravitate toward broadcast reality competition shows.
– Castle (ABC): Ranks fairly high among Dems, too.
– Mythbusters (Discovery)
– Only in America With Larry the Cable Guy, American Pickers, Pawn Stars, Swamp People (History): If you’re a Republican candidate looking to raise money, put ads on History.
– The Middle (ABC): Does well among libs, too.
– The Tonight Show With Jay Leno (NBC): “Did you hear about this? Yeah, this is true: Jay Leno is the late-night choice among conservatives… “
– The Biggest Loser (NBC)
– Hawaii Five-O, NCIS, The Mentalist (CBS): Popular crime dramas — except the left-wing Law & Order franchise — tend to draw a conservative crowd.
Also: Dancing With the Stars results show (ABC), Man vs. Wild (Discovery), Auction Kings (Discovery), Wheel of Fortune (syndi), Top Gear (BBC America).
mythbusters!!! (^_^) how can ANYONE not like mythbusters? dirty jobs is also fun to watch. (^_^)
leave me alone with a television machine and i will invariably watch pretty much anything on the discovery channel or animal planet (or some other nature channel). the bachelor (or any “reality” program?)? – nuh uh. jay leno – meh. he’s ok. the crime dramas listed are alright in a pinch if there’s nothing else on, but they’re usually too low-iq in their plot-lines. i dunno what the middle or the biggest loser is — oh, wait. is the biggest loser the weight loss show?
one show that i think is pretty ok is boardwalk empire. good acting, good scripts (if you look away from the pc stuff), nice sets and filming. i can easily waste an hour watching that (mind you, if i do watch tv, which is not very often ’cause we don’t have one, it’s not an entire waste of my time ’cause i’m usually knitting something at the same time. i am a chick — i can multi-task. (~_^) )
previously: the boob tube
(note: comments do not require an email. american idle.)